Pataleshwar Caves - Pune



Searching for "Pateleshwar" pronounced as it is made it virtually impossible to locate the place. I went to visit the caves and went round and round a couple of times before I finally spotted the location. The best landmark is the Jangli Maharaj temple just adjacent to the cave. Couldn't believe that there would be such a beautiful cave in the midst of the now-so-called concrete city - Pune. If you are looking for the location, just ask for the Jangli Maharaj temple, another landmark is the Honda showroom and Standard Charted Bank on the opposite side of the road. There are no specific markings or indications near the place, only a small gate.
We reached at around 17:30 hrs and it was cloudy. Was wishing it wouldn't rain and the climate did support that day. The entrance leads to a descend and one gets to see the "Circular Nandi Mandapa". On the way, on both the sides there were some people sitting mostly senior citizens appeared to be more like regulars. The steps goes down and after the mandapa is over one comes to the entrance of the temple. One interesting thing about the temple/cave is that its carved out of rocks, of living basalts to be close. The information board at the entrance gate says that it was carved out sometime during the 8th - 9th century.

The huge pillars within the mandapa does have some cracks, but that's natural. One can see the close to perfect architecture there. Glad to see an architecture that have survived the the torture of time. Inside the temple at the center is the cube-size room that hosts the lingam. Lit with CFL tubes, the light arrangement makes slight disturbances from the photographer's point of view, however its good for the visitors, tourists and devotees who come there. One very important point to mention is the peace one can feel here. Its absolutely silent.

I went around the temple, pitch dark but for the fluorescent and CFLs, clicking some photos. Seeing this an old man appeared and informed me that shooting was not allowed in the vicinity. The normal display of the typical babu psychology against photography. He was talking about some police instruction regarding the recent bomb blasts related incidents. My tripod looked like a gun to him. The point was to stick to shooting at the same time acknowledging his "pearls of wisdom". I continued clicking and reached the front part which was more of an interesting area.

The availability of light between the pillars was something that was interesting to play with. This courtyard of the temple looked like a place where people could meet or gather. As evening closed in, we could see a few gatherings. Time just matched my plans but I soon realised that I did the usual stupid blunder of not charging my camera battery and the camera soon stopped focusing and I was left helpless. Right then the FM10 that is used by my wife now a days came to my rescue but there was no way I could meter it properly. However I took a few shots and then planned to leave.


Shoot over, we came out just to find out that my bike was missing. Skipped a couple of heart beats as it was the first time in my life that I did not find my bike where it was parked. Soon the guy working in the nearby garage told me that it was the no-parking zone(though I couldn't find any sign board indicating the same). Went to locate my bike and reached the place where the towed bike was kept. The 'agent', mind you not the policeman, asked for all the documents which I produced demanded INR 250 for the same. I tried to negotiate ( ;-) ) and he came down to INR 150 for the unofficial way. I did not argue much with him and asked him to cut the challan as per the rules. Following the discussion and finding some strange non-connecting details that he gave I dropped a couple of 'press" related gestures to which he fell a bit. He took my license and went to the Traffic guy. some communication went between them and to my surprise I found that the actual challan was only for INR 150 for which he reasoned that my bike was "set free" because I was from press. Strange huh??? another Pune experience. Why have i started liking Delhi more now a days??? Anyways no Pune abuse but its definitely not the city I expected it to be and what people told me about.. at least the present.

Overall it was a good experience and it was a real good feeling to see such an ancient monument right in the heart of the city. A must visit.. And please don't park your 2-Wheeler near the entrance as its only for 4-wheeler the signboard of which can be seen at an elevation of 70 degrees towards the sky.

Moral.... if your bike is towed while you are out for a shoot, go to the police station with your camera hanging around your neck with the maximum zoom range lens attached to it. Tripod would definitely help. Happy clicking.

Comments

Nandu Chitnis said…
I paid Rs 500/- for parking my car opposite Pulse. Next time got lammed at Parihar chowk, showed my Service Armed forces ID...got away ..

BTW nice blog and got here via flickr...

Keep rocking Man
Mparam said…
good narration vips. Just a thought u could have included a shot of the marble Sri ram-seet devi & Sri Laxman!
Nice write up.

Popular posts from this blog

Put yourself where you rightly belong, by making the right choice

Energy influence and relationship